Sunday, January 20, 2013

Can't...Stay Away...From Baby Elephants!

Saturday rolled around and I was ready for another weekend of adventures. It all started with Andrea coming over around 9:30am so that we could head out (once again, I know) to the DWTS Elephant Orphanage. This time, though, we went to a public viewing, which was MUCH different. There were an absolute TON of people. We really went so that D could adopt a baby elephant for her nephew, but it ended up just being a fun time gawking at baby pachyderms again. Didn't get to chat with Maxwell, but when we go back again (its happening) I will make sure to do so. I plan to adopt an elephant as well, so I am pretty excited to do some research and pick a good one, haha.

Look at all those PEOPLE!

Seriously, this was only half of the spectators. I am so glad we went last week as well!

Still really cute.

Teamwork!

Haha, this guy was NOT interested in drinking from a bucket. He wanted it straight from the source.

They didn't play in the mud at all this time, but they did flop around and throw dirt a lot.

He is like a cartoon of a trumpeting elephant.

Andrea and her elephriends.

Throwing dirt is all fun and games until the wind picks up and everyone gets mouths/eyes/faces/clothes full of grit!

After the elephants were fed, played, and left, we were got an unanticipated treat. The orphanage grounds open right onto the Nairobi National Park, and animals can come and go as they please. A family of warthogs, including twee little babies walked by. Big warthogs are really unattractive, but the babies were REALLY cute.

Mr. and Mrs. Pumba.

And family!

Such a pretty view of the park.
Once again, I left feeling like it was time and money well spent. A public viewing of the elephant feedings occurs every day from 11:00am-12:00pm, and has a suggested donation of 500Ksh (about $6.00). I promise you the money gets put to good use by some really great people doing amazing work to save really vulnerable animals.

The multiple projects of DSWT.
On our way back through Karen towards home, we got another surprise. WHAT IN THE HELL. That is an escaped camel, nonchalantly walking down the road. He could not possibly care less about what people think of him. Jackson said that parks in Nairobi sometimes have camels that kids can ride (what?) and he probably blew that Popsicle stand and set off on his own. SO random. Only in Africa.

"I'm WALKING here!"

"Just go around me, buddy."
After stopping briefly at Junction Mall to get passport photos and pick up some essentials, we came back here. Andrea and I chatted for a bit while D ran an errand, and then the three of us set off to Kawangware Market. Kawangware is a slum right up the street from our house. Most people in Kawangware live on less than $1 per day. D is one of the only wazungu who visits this market, and has developed relationships with some really great retailers there. Prices are drastically lower than at our local supermarket, and I feel better about buying things like produce there because the money is going directly to people who can really use it, rather than a corporation. Fresh produce comes in on Tuesdays and Fridays, so we will likely go to the market almost every Saturday to pick up some essentials. D also has a great seamstress, Catherine, who makes really beautiful clothes for really cheap (completely custom made dresses for a total of less than $20). I mostly browsed this week, but I am definitely going to have her whip me up some stuff sometime in the near future. There are a ton of stall selling absolutely stunning fabrics, and my crafty brain is exploding with ideas. I am pumped that we are so close. I think it is important to visit markets like Kawangware to get a more real, nuanced understanding of the "real" Nairobi. We are very careful when we go: dressing down, taking off jewelry, and being constantly cognizant of our belongings, and only bringing the essentials.

After shopping, we came home, where Andrea got picked up and we settled in to watch the first episode of The Newsroom, which I can't believe D, the communications guru, has never seen. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised because she's NEVER SEEN WEST WING. Apparently she lived under a ROCK before moving here, haha. No worries, I will teach her to love Aaron Sorkin. We are also going to check out Homeland at some point, because people can't stop gushing about it. I only wish the internet was faster here; it was so much easier to watch shows in Korea with their lightning fast connections.

A damper was put on the evening last night when we discovered that we may have been victims of theft when we had so many people in the apartment fixing various things last week. Our temporary roommate is unable to account for a big chunk of money in US dollars that she remembers being in her closet. I feel awful, because without even thinking, I left an electrician alone in her room for about 15 minutes, which may have been just enough time to rifle through her stuff. I guess I was still operating under the American idea that if a landlord sends someone to repair something in your house, they have already been vetted and are trustworthy. Lesson learned.

Today was a pretty relaxing day, with some time spent enjoying our balcony, blog writing, and preparing of the work week. Now I am off to cook some dinner before D gets home, so we can relax and watch another episode of The Newsroom tonight. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Meaghan!
    I came across your blog and I'm loving it! Just a point of correction, Kawangware is not a slum. It's a lower-middle class area and people do not live on less than a $1 per day. Try Kibera or Mathare. Those are slums.

    ReplyDelete